In honour of CANADA DAY, we wanted to share an easy dessert, great for taking to any family occasion. The red velvet cupcake is simple as it is delicious. The sour cream balances the sweetness and adds moisture. This luscious red cupcake is then topped off with a tangy goat and cream cheese icing, making it more vibrant and special for this occasion.
Recipe makes 30 cupcakes.
TIP: We used Wilton’s gel food colouring available at most kitchen stores.
For the cupcake:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 oz bottle red food colour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium until light and fluffy.
4. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
5. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla.
6. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Do not overbeat.
7. Spoon batter into 30 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
8. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean.
9. Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes.
10. Remove from pans; cool completely.
For the tangy goat cheese frosting:
¼ cup soft goat cheese
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
3 cups icing sugar
For the icing, blend all ingredients together until they are all fluffy and lump free. Pipe or spead onto the cooled cupcakes.