5 cups Italian or French bread, cubed in 1" cubes
1 apple, cut into 1/2" cubes
2 cups milk
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Put cubed bread in a greased casserole dish (we used a
3. In a medium bowl, mix eggs, 1/2 sugar, milk, vanilla, apple, and pecans.
4. Pour mixture over the bread and mix lightly, let set 20 minutes for liquid to soak into bread.
5. Sprinkle remaining brown sugar over the bread mixture.
6. Bake for 45 - 60 minutes, until top is puffed and slightly browned and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
For a vanilla whisky sauce to go with the bread pudding mix 2 tablespoons whisky, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup milk in a small saucepan, bring to the boil. Let boil for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Let cool and serve.